Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:33:33 -0400

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 04:55:09PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > I use bash, so I know this is true for it; perhaps the case is
> > different with csh/tcsh.
>
> The "csh/tcsh" argument is bogus, please try to be accurate here.

Are you _trying_ to stir up flames?

I said the above because I _have no experience_ with tcsh/csh.

However, from what you've said, tcsh/csh actually _break_ commands containing
{arch}, whereas bash simply has (slight) completion problems[*].  Gee, the
former sounds rather worse than the latter...

> I don't agree these annoyances are minor for shell users willing to be
> effective, and are compensated by any possible advantages.

"possible advantages"?  Do know the reasons why people like these
conventions?  Have you read the wiki page?

[*] Because these have a simple work-around (type a backslash), they seem
mainly a problem for newbies, who don't know it.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen