Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:49:16 +1000

> The situation with tcsh is not worse than with zsh.  tcsh can't run
> unquoted {arch} at all (+1 serious problem), but it also has no problems
> with =files that zsh and bash have (-1 problem).  This same thread lists
> all problems with bash/zsh and +files, =files, ,files and {files}.

All such problems are potential barriers to entry.

A test of user friendliness is the ability for the software to make
easy what is otherwise difficult and make possible what is otherwise
difficult.

Another is how smoothly potential new users can start using the
software's basic features, particularly for those coming from legacy
systems (yes they're all legacy's next to arch :) where they (at least
initially) just wish to replace their existing functionality.

Yes, of course a learning curve must be expected, but I believe it is
in our significant personal and collective interest to keep those
curves as gradual and as greased as the user may desire (short of
actually sacrificing functionality which is an argument I don't think
holds weight).

cheers
zen