Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:51:46 -0400

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 01:52:23PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> The current arch's naming scheme is pretty inconvenient. You may get used
> to it, but you can't claim it is shell friendly (whether your shell is
> bash, tcsh or zsh).

I don't think anybody is claiming that it's especially "shell friendly",
merely that the claims that it's shell-_unfriendly_ are vastly overstated,
that in practice it just doesn't matter all that much, and that the
advantages of using such conventions more than compensate for the occasional
inconvenience.

I use bash, so I know this is true for it; perhaps the case is different with
csh/tcsh.

> This is not to deny that in a fantazy world with arch
> and no other citizens, such naming scheme would possibly rock.

Oh brother...

-Miles
--
(\(\