Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:11:23 -0700

On Oct 17, 2004, at 18:32, Miles Bader wrote:

With the "{arch} in csh" problem, the user can type a perfectly fine
command line manually, hit RET, and _the command will be wrong_ -- he'll get a confusing error in response (or worse: try to use "rm -rf {arch}/m*"
to get rid of all patch-logs beginning with "m*" in a linux source
tree... :-O ).

I think this is an example of an arbitrary decision having an impact on tools that are common for a user. I mean, I got in this argument when I first started using it (somewhere around a year ago), and I've seen it come up a few more times and have heard that users start to really like it over time. However, I think that as the number of uses grows, that becomes less true.

A visible directory indicating an scm does not in any way help my day to day activities. I can't use it to tell whether I'm in an arch tree or not, as I have some pretty big arch trees I'm not always at the top of. I use ``tla tree-version'' to tell me not only that I'm in an arch tree, but which one it is.

I use tcsh, and sure it expands OK when I type ``someCmd {<tab>'' which makes things a bit easier for me, but it doesn't make me terribly excited that there's a meta-character in my directory tree. I think the fact that bash treats {} metas with and without a comma differently doesn't make the case any better, either.

When I was a newbie, people ranted at me about how newbies drop in and don't consider the massive amounts of archives out there when making suggestions with this kind of impact. I was also assured that I'd grow to love { and + and , and all that. As it turns out, I do rather like the use of , for temporary files. I've been using it in my own scripts here and there to indicate a file is not a permanent product, but should remain here and visible. {arch} still seems to be a barrier to entry, though. I use arch in spite of the way things are named, and the deep trees, and having to replace things like tar on some of my systems because the filenames within a patch are too long for the version of gnutar I have to store them.

If you were designing a new archive format today, would you really have stuff like {arch} in it and lots of duplication leading to really long path names that require tool upgrades? There doesn't seem to be a benefit here that justifies the trouble it causes.

Regardless, the arch community will continue to grow, as will the complaints. I do suspect it'd grow faster if people had less to complain about.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>