Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Barriers to Adoption: exponential userbase size inc

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Barriers to Adoption: exponential userbase size increases
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>

    > > 1) Deferring to a tiny installed base instead of focusing on
    > >    eliminating barriers to adoption

    > I tend to agree.

What if the opposite of "deferring to a tiny installed base" turns out
to be equivalent to "screwing up the tool so badly that the benefit of
adopting it is lost?"

Anyway: Arch isn't deferring to any tiny installed base.  It's just
sticking to what makes the most sense to me.  And it's installed base
keeps growing, afaict, so I can't be *all* wrong.

Some people run smack into arch as newbies, experience great
frustration, then emerge as better unix users and better hackers
generally.  One small part of that, when it happens, is a shift of
perspective about the various issues that get discussed endlessly on
this list.  So, what exactly is it I'm supposed to fix about this?