Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch's file naming scheme is shell unfriendly
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:00:26 +1000

> This tcsh problem is fixed by adding quotes. This is as easy and as
> incomprehensible for newbies as the numerous problems with other shells.

Yes;
* there are 'problems' (at least for newbies)

* there are a number of these problems

* they touch all the main shells

* they can generally be worked around

* each such 'problem' that a user hits is a locally minor (in most
cases) distraction/ time sink (and due to complaints voiced, a potential
barrier to potential new users), yet is in the aggregate, globally
significant

> I don't agree with the page that arch _must_ use any of these conventions.

I don't remember reading that, but if that is stated, it is clearly
false.

> This is like saying, we use emacs, you should use it too.
> Trust us, you will get used to it and end up <bold>liking</bold> it.
> This may or may not be true for particular individuals.

I agree that technical decisions should have technical rationales.

I don't expect we will be held in high esteem for decisions made
based on emotional reasons. My belief has been that the decisions
at their core are in fact technical and additional "justifications"
have been layered on top.

As a purely technical decisio, I think the required workarounds
outweigh the technical advatages of (at least some of) the GNU Arch
naming conventions.

cheers
zen