Re: [Fsfe-uk] Happened, happening, needing to happen

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Happened, happening, needing to happen
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:19:00 +0000

Brian:
> nochex works fine, but it's debit card based so there is no protection
[...]

That's a downer, although surely most people have insurance on their debit
card too?  I certainly do, although it has a higher excess than the credit
card.

> It should be fine if we can accept cheques by post.  Standing orders
> are also good if the co-op account has the facility to accept those.

Yes, we can accept BACS and standing order and it looks like we can accept
direct debit too, but that is surely more difficult as we'd need to trigger
it.

> As far as online payment is concerned the main player is Worldpay
> (IMHO), they don't require a merchant account.  They charge about
> 150gbp/yr+4.5% which we could shell out for if we get enough members.

I'm not sure, as this may be significant.  Is it possible to "piggyback" on
someone else's electronic transaction framework?  Needs a friendly supplier,
I guess.
--