Re: [avrdude-dev] make depend

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] make depend
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:43:45 +0100

As Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> :) Hmm, i thought you fixed it for bison anyway?  See Eric's mail.
>
> Nope. I used byacc to get around it not working with bison. My

Hmm.

> yacc/lex skills are very weak, so I may not be the best one to fiddle
> with this. I will try to look at it, but can't make any promises.

I think this must be a minor problem only.  Normally, bison is mostly
a superset of yacc (as with many GNU tools).

> In the end, I think the grammar file should be made to work with both
> byacc and bison if possible. Although, even the gdb folks prefer byacc
> over bison.

Bison might have other weaknesses, but for a simple config file, we
don't need to care.  I agree that it should be made to work with both.

> Is byacc available on FreeBSD or is it only known as yacc?

address@hidden 230% which byacc yacc bison
/usr/bin/byacc
/usr/bin/yacc
/usr/local/bin/bison

So, byacc and yacc are identical (yacc is the default for YACC in make,
as it used to be the case on Unix), bison is an additional package.