Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:49:57 +0100

As Onno Kortmann wrote:

> 1. who knows that the 'I want devel-access' knob on savannah will
> trigger more of a response than a well-though-out patch on the ML or
> savannahs tracker will do?

As I already told you before: committing a well-thought-out patch from
the patch tracker would require a *developer* to do so.  The list of
project members by now is:

Eric Weddington (admin only, does not develop)
Jennifer Averett (I have no idea about her)
Joel Sherrill (has been very active in the past, but does not seem
               to be anymore)
Joerg Wunsch (admin only, maintains at most the legacy simulavr)
Michael Hennebry (has been active in the past, haven't seen him lately)
Thomas K. (that's the only one who appears to be among the current
           developers)
Klaus Rudolph (admin, original author of simulavrxx, he said "Good bye"
               about a couple of years ago, as you all know)

So now: who'd be the one to commit your patches?  The only one I'm
seeing is Thomas Klepp.

> 2. git has very specific advantages in this very situation that we
> tried to explain very thoroughly

Well, I've always got the impression that the most specific advantage
is that you could work around the missing "commit bit" on Savannah
with it.  But as I said, I wouldn't object to it if it's the consensus
of those who are actively developing on the code, as these are the
people who have to use it.  Sorry, I tried it to get the hang of it,
but I failed to get started (OK, I didn't spend more than an evening
on it, and perhaps the idea of how a VCS is working I've got from
about 20 years working with VCSes biased me too much), so you cannot
expect me to yell "Hurray!" about it. ;)

> We just tried to move some things we felt to be core issues but
> failed (lethargy on this list) [...]

Well, if something happens on the list at all, again, it's *your*
duty.  If you feel it's not important to discuss things publically but
in private mails instead, I wouldn't agree with you, but again, that's
your turn, too.

Just don't expect that "mythical anyone" to do anything.  It won't
happen (as you noticed).

> The last update on savannah is from 2005. The web page is from 2004.
> Something _IS_ wrong with that :-)

Again, it would have been *you* to deliver the updates.  As I wrote in
the other mail, I'd be willing to roll releases for you if you want,
but that's about all I could do about it.  I never joined the project
do develop anything on simulavrxx.  I joined to keep the legacy
simulavr code in at least compilable shape as long as there's still
anyone using it, and when Klaus Rudolph went away, I somewhat filled
in the vacant job as a "manager on duty", well, basically "by
default".  I never promised anybody to actively participate in
day-to-day development, I simply don't have the time for it.

I tried to explain all that before (partly on the list, but also in
private mails with at least Thomas, maybe also Onno), but apparently
never really got understood.