Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:33:39 +0100

As Petr Hluzín wrote:

> > I'm an administrator here, yes, but that doesn't mean I would be
> > patching a CVS tree that is not even used by the developers at
> > all.

> Well, someone has to.

That's what I said: you always expected a mythical "someone" to do
"something".  I've already epxlained in the past that *you* are the
developers, so that "someone" is *you* (in the plural meaning of
"you").

> > Also, there's a knob on the Savannah web interface people who want
> > to join a project could press

> I already tried it and it did something which did not look like it
> is working.  I believe it persisted after logging in, maybe cache.

Well, many developers succeeded in using that button prior... (not for
simulavr[xx], but for other projects I'm also an administrator for).

I could not even possibly grant project membership (and thus, commit
access) to anyone without at least knowing the Savannah login name.

> If I had a commit access I would want a guidelines when/what to
> commit.

But again, do not expect *me* to write the guidelines for the
developers, do not expect Eric to do it either.  It's *your*
guidelines, so write them.  The savannah project also has an
accompanying website, which is maintained in a CVS repository, so feel
free to put your guidelines into that Web repository.

You know pretty well that the former author, maintainer and
administrator (Klaus Rudolph) went away some years ago.  He's been the
last one who would have reviewed things before checking in, but he
didn't keep up with the pace of your development.

> possible and I prefer to obtain changes from just one repository.

developers for the project.  I'm more than willing to add those who
are actively developing on it, and I think it's also time that one out
of your group would be granted the admin bit then (maybe Onno).  But
don't take that too lightly: the admin is a "manager", admin work is
*not* day-to-day development work, it's not a typical hacker's job.

I'm also willing to remain project admin here (as I at least know many
of the handling procedures on Savannah already) if you want, this
would include rolling and publishing releases.  My only conditions for
the latter were that 1) I'm able to learn the required magic :) to
extract a release by whatever method (tag name, commit ID) out of the
repository, and 2) whatever is in the tree is actually releasable by
the time you want me to roll it (i.e., a "make distcheck" succeeds,
and results in a source tarball that can be compiled again).