Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started

From: Onno Kortmann
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Simulavrxx fork started
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 02:54:41 +0100

Hi all,

Ok. I think there is a a way now that we could merge and abandon the fork.

Let us book the knob/no-knob and similar discussions under misunderstandings (thats mostly my impression now, btw) and move on. I now propose the following hopefully very clearly:

- I get developer access

- Petr may want access, too(?)

- Our patched simulavrxx will become the developer version of simulavr, and the other old C version will be made available as legacy C version of simulavr. The -xx will disappear into a historic footnote.

- simulavr moves to git. If this is done, I offer to help, as far as I can, anyone to use git for simulavr. Send me eMails, phone me, whatever. The old code of course may stay in CVS/SVN, I do not care.

- both Thomas and I get the permission to freely change and develop on HEAD. This may include big and incomplete changes. Things will break. (Look at our current git to get an idea on the size and short-to-long-term quality)

- the web site and other documentation will be replaced with Thomas' new stuff.

If you're too afraid of any of the above, I think it is in the best interest of all of us to keep our two trees.

But in return, we will close the avrs and github version. If the above changes happen, I also volunteer to review all incoming patches that noone else looks at. My own development on simulavrxx is of course sporadically. But I will take the responsibility to review and either reject or merge abandoned patches.

Best wishes :-)

Onno