Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: loic
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:21:50 +0100 (CET)

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:
 > address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
 >
 > >  It is feasible. But it also requires a lot more work. Basically it
 > > requires to setup one or two machines with : sourceforge + ftp + www +
 > > mailman + gnats + cvs and maintain them. We will basically re-produce
 > > every single service that currently exists on gnu.org.
 >
 > Ok, if it's hard, then we should just use the same machine then.  Can you
 > roughly estimate how many projects we can handle before the machine
 > becomes too overloaded?

 I'd say after +200 projects we will start to have problems. The first
of which is disk space. Shortly afterward (+300) it will be RAM (only
128Mb) and probably at the same time CPU.

 > Ok, that's a good idea.  Of course, be careful who you select----the
 > volunteers need to know how to DTRT before we put them live on savannah.
 > savannah is going to be high-profile, and we need to train people well so
 > that it gets maintained well.

 You're right. I tend to think that a good volunteer is a volunteer
that actually do something, even if he is not very skilled. My role as
a coordinator is to help them figure out how to DTRT. Guillaume is now
reliable in that respect (thanks for the effort Guillaume ;-) and Jaime
is doing a hard job learning his way (thanks Jaime ;-).

 I will be extra carefull not to let a volunteer unattended because it may
be a big risk for the integrity of Savannah, I realize that.

 >   * approval from RMS on the criterium we discussed: "Any free software
 >     program under a GPL-compatible license".

 Yes.

 >   * deciding on the name of the machine

 Yes.

 >   * general approval from RMS on the whole idea to go public soon.

 My understanding is that he is very much in favor of this (see
http://lwn.net/2001/0322/a/rms-savannah.php3).

        Cheers,