Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 21:10:11 -0500

   > For the year I've been in charge of address@hidden, people are daily asking
   > us to donate webspace, FTP space, and the like.  We give them a clear
   > answer: become a GNU program and we'll host you.

   Well, I kind of dislike this approach.  I understand it works, and
   it's a reasonable way for the FSF to spend its money.

I don't think the FSF actually spends a cent on web and ftp hosting,
though, other than sometimes using staff time to maintain those machines.

(I suppose the T1 to 59 Temple that's involved in alpha.gnu.org makes
that slightly untrue, but really, the FSF isn't paying the small
fortune that network bandwidth costs, and the FSF hasn't paid for any
of the computers that have ever been our main FTP server or main web
server, as far as I know.)