Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:36:57 -0800

On Mar 11, 2004, at 20:47, Robert Collins wrote:

A case insensitive file system is like a database where the key '123' is
equal to the '456' and to '789' and ...

It breaks a pretty fundamental assumption that programs storing data
make.

That's not true. A case insensitive filesystem is like a database where the key 'abc' is equal to 'ABC'. This was true for the Sybase instance at my last job. Much like with my system, it was possible to make it case sensitive, but it required a lot of work and we weren't entirely sure whether our apps would still work when we were done. Sybase allowed whoever brought up that database to do it like that (I could swear someone said it was the default) because it made sense for at least some applications. To be honest, it was several years of running the app before we even discovered it was doing that.

We're talking about category and branch names belonging to individual archives and colliding during collaboration, though. As far as I've seen, this is the only place where it's possible for case collisions to occur outside of the stuff being managed itself (or someone doing something like the labnotes example).

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>