Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:38:36 -0800 (PST)

    > From: "Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord wrote:
    > |     > Would you be willing to have archive-setup and friends offer a
warning
    > |     > when a user is about to create an archive/branch that will cause
    > |     > problems
    > |     > for users of case-sensitive file-systems?

    > | That's a weird idea but yes -- I think I _might_ accept that.

    > Cool!

    > Would you be willing to have star-merge (et al) offer a warning
    > when a user is about to merge with an archive/branch that will
    > cause problems on their case- sensitive file-system?

You'll have trouble doing that in full generality.  It is easy enough
to check for collisions with the particular version name you'll be
merging in -- not so easy to check for other collisions.

You know  -- come to think of it -- the best thing to do might be to
make a "ci-lint" program.

A ci-lint program should take as input a list of archives or, perhaps,
particular categories, branches and versions within archives.  It will
look at all of the names in those areas of the namespace, and all of
the patch-log entry names mentioned in their log files, warning about
case collisions.  A sane approach to building ci-lint might be to the
`tla archive-snapshot' facility in combination with `make(1)'.