Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:22:34 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    > On Mar 10, 2004, at 1:21, Tom Lord wrote:

    > >>        Turns out there are quite a few UNIX and Windows users out
there with
    > >> case insensitive filesystems

    > > Encourage them to upgrade.

    >   I never took you as one of those, ``you wouldn't have this problem if
    > you ran Linux'' developers I kept running into a few years ago when my
    > primary platforms were Solaris, IRIX, and NetBSD.

I have my limits.

You have a perfectly viable option here of encouraging people you work
with not to choose names that differ only in case and/or gatewaying
their work.

You have, in arch's case sensitivity, a tool that works just like C
and tar and gazillions of other tools.

You have, apparently, some frustration at being stuck in some
situation where you have to work with these annoying filesystems and
where you have been embarassed while trying to show off arch without
awareness of that issue -- but don't take that out on me or on arch or
on other users of arch.

    >   I'm an arch evangelist.  I believe strongly in this project and I
    > encourage my wife to dump money into your paypal account as the value
    > that arch has brought me has greatly exceeded my expectations.  This
    > type of response makes it really difficult to convince people to trust
    > their work to arch.

I'm not always right about everything.   Far from it.   You haven't
convinced me yet, but maybe I'll turn out to be wrong on this issue.

I do try to be direct about stating my opinions about some things.

I don't at all appreciate the innuendo of your words "this type of
response [....]"

As with all people who have given me money -- I very much appreciate
your contribution.   But it would be a betrayal of those people if I
were to give in to technical direction pressure based on that.

The _reason_ arch is good is, in large part, because I have resisted
bad ideas presented with enourmous social pressure behind them.   You
can help not only by giving money -- but also by choosing with more
care the means by which you attempt to persuade me.

    >   Yeah, the sky is falling.  My first interactive attempt working with
    > other people in the way arch was designed to be used has left me with a
    > completely broken archive and your response is that Microsoft and Apple
    > should change fundamental properties of their operating systems to
    > better accommodate the way you do things.

My response was rather more than that.   You apparently have a small
number of upstream projects whose naming conventions have caused
problems particular to the systems you use.

Why do you respond to that circumstance by attacking me?  By defaming
me?

Wouldn't it be more productive to chat with those upstream folks and
have them iron out their naming conventions?   Failing that, you could
always put a gateway between you and them.

I have the impression now that you want to leverage my poverty and
gratitude towards you into finding the least-effort solution for your
immediate problem -- but without much concern for whether that
solution improves or degrades arch, and without much concern for the
impact of the changes you propose on the use of available labor or on
other users.

Please reconsider your tactics.