Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:27:07 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:
    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

> We're talking about category and branch names belonging to individual > archives and colliding during collaboration, though.
Right.   And, that _is_ the insightful way to look at it that suggests
(but does not compel) the conclusion that this an issue to address
within arch.   You're hitting me where I live there.

That's why, for example, I'm open to things like the ci-lint
suggestion.

However: re-ordering the patch-log tree order (for example) is:

(a) fairly massively disruptive for users who don't care a whit
    about this issue.

(b) not a complete solution by any means nor a progressive step
    towards a complete solution

Okay, as far as I can tell, the only complete solution is another level of indirection: present a case sensitive filesystem to tla by using a vu_ subsystem. We should see if any of Lode's work applies here. Essentially,

1. creating "CaseSensitive" should succeed, and record a mapping of "CaseSensitive -> CaseSensitive" somewhere 2. creating "CaseSensitive" again should fail (because there's already a map entry for it). 3. creating "casesensitive" should create a file called "casesensitive1", and record a mapping of casesensitive -> casesensitive1 3. creating "casesensitive1" should create a file called casesensitive11, and record a mapping of casesensitive1 -> casesensitive11.

Naturally, all lookups would use the mapping. The reason for using filesystem names similar to the vu name simply for user convenience.

Before using the mapping, it would have to be updated to reflect user changes to the filesystem. The potential for user changes conflicting is low, since they're stuck with a case-insensitive filesystem. They'd have to work hard to create a file name that conflicts with vu_ mapped name.

Aaron