bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Line icons

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Line icons
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 18:59:44 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:
>
>> Perhaps use icons from Mark James at famfamfam.com [2],
>> they are free.
>
> Wow, that's quite a collection of beautiful icons.  Impressive!
> They are CC-BY 2.5, so GPL-incompatible, but perhaps we could
> get the author to release a copy under the GPL.  I'll mail him.

FYI, here is the message I sent:

Hi Mark,

I am a developer of Bongo[1], a free media player for Emacs.
Someone recently posted a patch implementing support for
displaying icons in Bongo, and your icon set was brought up
on the mailing list as a potential starting point for a
Bongo icon set.

I was very impressed with your icons --- the quality is very
good and the set is quite large --- and was glad to see that
they are available under a free license.

There is one problem, however.  Richard Stallman has
requested that Bongo be made a part of GNU Emacs after the
imminent release of GNU Emacs 22.  The problem is that the
Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 license is incompatible
with the GPL.  As a consequence, these icons will not be
accepted into the GNU Emacs distribution.

As the incompatibility between CC-BY and the GPL often
surprises people (it does not make much sense to me), I am
hoping you might be willing to release a copy of your icon
set under the GNU GPL version 2, or any later version as
published by the Free Software Foundation (this part is
important).

Thank you for making such a high-quality icon set available
for free.

Best regards,

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>