bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Line icons

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Line icons
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:09:42 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Here's a display extension I've been sitting on since October.
> I was going to rewrite it or something, I don't remember exactly.
> Well, it works anyway, so I'll go ahead and post it here.

Thanks for posting this!

> Install the patch if you want to look at pretty icons in
> your Bongo buffers.  Example at [1].  They are disabled by
> default, though, and you have to supply your own icon files.

Due to the immense coolness of this, it would be good to put
a set of icons in the Bongo repository and maybe even enable
it by default (because, hey, it'll be easy to disable).

> Perhaps use icons from Mark James at famfamfam.com [2],
> they are free.

Wow, that's quite a collection of beautiful icons.  Impressive!
They are CC-BY 2.5, so GPL-incompatible, but perhaps we could
get the author to release a copy under the GPL.  I'll mail him.

I think I would want to have, e.g., one icon for URIs, one
icon for currently-playing URIs, and one for played URIs,
because then you could still see the URIness of a track
while you were playing it.  Another solution would be to
rely on other means for highlighting the playing track ---
that is, the icon and face changes we already perform.

It's too bad Emacs can't compose images...

> This will not work on Emacs 21 since `image-type-from-file-name' is
> new in Emacs 22.  If you want this for Emacs 21, take the function
> definition from Emacs sources or edit out the function call (e.g., put
> type `png' instead and use only PNG images). Maybe there's another
> workaround, but I haven't bothered to look into it.

Here is `image-type-from-file-name':

We could just copy it into bongo-emacs21.el.

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>