bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Line icons

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Line icons
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 17:59:03 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> Due to the immense coolness of this, it would be good to put
> a set of icons in the Bongo repository and maybe even enable
> it by default (because, hey, it'll be easy to disable).

Yes, that was my long-term idea. It needs to be a good set with clear
and descriptive icons.

>> Perhaps use icons from Mark James at famfamfam.com [2],
>> they are free.
>
> Wow, that's quite a collection of beautiful icons.  Impressive!
> They are CC-BY 2.5, so GPL-incompatible, but perhaps we could
> get the author to release a copy under the GPL.  I'll mail him.

Oh, I couldn't find any license text on that page. All I found is the
message that they are "available for free use for any purpose."

Actually, I was about to post a link to another set of icons, but they
are explicitly licensed with Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
2.0 (GPL-incompatible) so I didn't. Well, they are copyleft-free, so
here it is:

    http://sweetie.sublink.ca/

> I think I would want to have, e.g., one icon for URIs, one
> icon for currently-playing URIs, and one for played URIs,
> because then you could still see the URIness of a track
> while you were playing it.

That is a good idea. I think I used to have URI tracks revert to the
URI icon after use, because I wanted to see the URIness (that's a cool
noun), but that was lost in editing.

This demonstrates why Bongo should have custom-made icons, if that is
possible. I can't do it myself, but maybe someone else can.

> Another solution would be to rely on other means for highlighting
> the playing track --- that is, the icon and face changes we already
> perform.

Of course, if that is what you want.