bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Line icons

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Line icons
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:25:07 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> We could use GNOME icons instead.  Look at this:
>
>    <http://wigwam.brockman.se/~daniel/bongo-line-icons.png>

> Using GNOME icons is probably a good idea anyway, though,
> for the purpose of visual desktop consistency.

Yes, this makes sense.

I like the video icons, and I was about to propose that idea. How
about using the following code? It has other uses too.

(defcustom bongo-video-file-name-extensions
  '("asf" "avi" "flv" "mka" "mov" "mp4" "mpeg" "mpg"
    "ogm" "qt" "rm" "rmvb" "ts" "vob" "wmv")
  "A list of video file name extensions recognized by Bongo."
  :type '(repeat string)
  :group 'bongo-file-names)

(defun bongo-video-file-name-p (file-name)
  "True if FILE-NAME has a recognized video file name extension.
See `bongo-video-file-name-extensions' for the list of extensions."
  (bongo-file-name-matches-p
    file-name `(local-file ,@bongo-video-file-name-extensions)))

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> also writes:

> I'm thinking that at 16x16, maybe we shouldn't try to
> squeeze too much into one icon.  Putting two icons next to
> each other makes more sense to me --- especially if you
> consider how much easier it is to handle N + M simple icons
> compared to N * M complex icons (one for each combination).

I don't know about two icons on one line, seems a little weird to me.

I'm thinking now that the best default setting is to have only the
simple icons (tracks, headers). The extra stuff might be a bit too
redundant. But we can have it set using the icons for played tracks,
playing tracks, playing URI tracks and so on, and they will default to
the simpler icons. So the user that wants the full icon show can
customize that.