Re: Do I understand MessageProbe correctly ?( was Re: EZGraph Query

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Do I understand MessageProbe correctly ?( was Re: EZGraph Query
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:31:56 -0600

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

> PJ> I narrowed the task to allow users to pass only an
> PJ> integer along with a selector of their choice.
>
> Why an integer?  Will you be adding more methods?  What will you
> be calling them?  getDataKeyDouble?  What does "DataKey" mean?  Why not
> "IntegerArg"?
Whoa.  IntegerArg is fine with me.

> PJ> char aString[5]; key = x; sprintf ( aString,"%d",x ); [self
> PJ> setArg: 0 ToString: aString]; } return self; }
>
> These MessageProbes will be called again and again when drawing
> the graph, and you want to convert back and forth betwen a string?
> Does this not make you uncomfortable?  It should.

I guess I didn't/don't understand what you mean.  Or how/why the message
probe class and why it works the way it does. It looks to me that the
setArg:ToString was called once, when the message probe is created. In
setArg:ToString:, the string value is converted to integer value is
stored in the (or ActiveGraph's) IVAR arguments. No more conversions are
going on after that.  When the message probe is called, it does
dynamicCallOn(), which uses arguments.  Am I just wrong in believing
that the val_t type stores the value as an int, not a string?

What alternatives do I have?  Should I write a new method in
MessageProbe that takes an integer directly, instead of taking a string
and converting?