Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 02:43:26 +0000

I understand that one potential complication of separating the companies from
the
individuals in the table format is that it makes the addressbook app harder to
work
with those using LDAP

I understand that the current LDAP design in addressbook is made to match a LDAP
standard for the storage of contact information

In my thinking, we have three options:
1. stick with what is done (in which case I'll continue work on addbook)
2. try to get a new LDAP contact standard adopted and wait until that's done
(see
next paragraph)
3. create a system that utilizes a different database structure than the LDAP
structure and have the code adjust for the different formats

I think 2. would be a huge delay - trying to get 100s or 1000s of people to
agree
on a new format.  Also, in my limited understanding of LDAP, it is not a
relational
structure and it might be impossible to separate the companies from the people
and
maintain a relationship between the data (which would of course prevent the
adoption of a LDAP contact standard format to do this)

I suggest we proceed with the concept of modifying the addressbook database
structure to better normalize the data including separating the companies and
the
people into separate tables.

So what do you guys think?  Can we start talking about a new database structure
for
the addressbook and the corresponding changes to the web forms?