Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:06:59 +0100

Hi Brian,

I still have that plan.

But now a requirement is that it should work with LDAP too, I just started to investigate what is possible in LDAP and how can we archive the separation of organistion and persons in LDAP too.

The idea is to have persons in a subtree of the organisation. The Problem is to enable stock LDAP clients, which suport only the inetOrgPerson schema, to see one record with the organisations data as well as the persons data. One approach to this would be to have a field-structur like the addressbook has it know and only change the UI to keep the org-fields in sync with the org-fields of the other persons in that org. That is not the cleanest approach (Michael Meskes would say the db is not normalized) but it is far better than the other ideas around like haveing a sync-deamon run by cron (which tries to keep the org-data synced). All LDAP clients I came across so far use LDAP readonly as they do no authorisation against the LDAP-server.

What is your timeframe for the realization of that?

We should meet in irc to discuss this further.

Ralf

PS.: I included some other interested devels in the reply.

PPS.: Check out the new phpgw-app Wiki, on which I'm working at the moment, it's a port of WikkiTikkiTavi http://tavi.sf.net

Brian Johnson wrote:
I've been working with addbook to use it in conjuction with timetrack

Now I'm at a point where I need to add a bunch of features already available in
addressbook and I have to decide whether to stick with addbook and add the
features
or look into modifying addressbook to split the persons and companies into
different
tables

I remember someone on this list saying that he was looking into splitting the
addressbook tables in person vs company format which is a definite requirement
for
me.  What is the status/intent on that?  Is there anything I could do to help?
think this change would result in addressbook being extremely close to what I
need
(and I could convert my timetrack changes pretty easily)