Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:00:27 +0000

Ralf Becker (address@hidden) wrote*:

>But now a requirement is that it should work with LDAP too, I just
>started to investigate what is possible in LDAP and how can we archive
>the separation of organistion and persons in LDAP too.
>
>The idea is to have persons in a subtree of the organisation. The
>Problem is to enable stock LDAP clients, which suport only the
>inetOrgPerson schema, to see one record with the organisations data as
>well as the persons data. One approach to this would be to have a
>field-structur like the addressbook has it know and only change the UI
>to keep the org-fields in sync with the org-fields of the other persons
>in that org. That is not the cleanest approach (Michael Meskes would say
>the db is not normalized) but it is far better than the other ideas
>around like haveing a sync-deamon run by cron (which tries to keep the
>org-data synced). All LDAP clients I came across so far use LDAP
>readonly as they do no authorisation against the LDAP-server.

I'm afraid I don't know much about LDAP - tried to use it about a year ago when
hoped it would provide a unified password authentication system ... but found
that
each app (linux system, samba, phpgw) needed it's own schema and therefore was
no
advantage (and added complexity) so switched back

If a single record for each indiv is maintained (and each record's company info
is
synchronized), when I need to link to a company for a project in timetrack ...
which
one do I link to?  If I arbitrarily pick one, what happens when the one I link
to is
deleted ... or the person moves to another company?

I think for my module cross-linking purposes, I definitely need a separate
record
for the company.

Why do people continually not see the requirement to separate people from
companies?
 Easier to program I guess ... until you you need the info separated

>What is your timeframe for the realization of that?

As soon as possible.  We are currently submitting timesheets in excel format and
copying the data into Quickbooks ... the file size has exceeded 50Mb and the
program
loads the entire data file into memory to do anything = we need an alternative

I have two people using timetrack linked to addbook to enter projects, contacts
and
time entries for testing purposes but I need to create better filtering and
searching abilities in addbook before other switch to it (and I add our 3000+-
contacts and 2000+- projects).  I could just add current projects but might as
well
add them all while I'm at it since it would be useful to have them all listed
in one
place

>We should meet in irc to discuss this further.

What address/time?

>PPS.: Check out the new phpgw-app Wiki, on which I'm working at the
>moment, it's a port of WikkiTikkiTavi http://tavi.sf.net

Awesome, I've wondered about porting our Twiki over but other priorities have
governed.  Where is the module code? CVS?  Is it close to usable?