Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook

From: Adam Hull
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Addbook vs addressbook
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:32:39 +0000

I have reread through this thread and wanted to add a few things, but first I
want
to say that the following is in no way a criticism, I am simply stating my
perspective on the addressbook situation.

I have personally given up on LDAP. This is mostly because I just do not need
it. I
am mostly using phpGroupware for small groups. So, I do not need LDAP auth since
none of my installations will span more than one server. I was hoping to have an
addressbook with LDAP support so users could use an LDAP client if they wanted
to,
but I can live without that. I just cannot wait any longer for it to be
implemented.
And from the sound of this conversation, the problem with storing relational
data in
LDAP is going to make this exceedingly difficult, delaying this project even
more.
So, not having LDAP as a requirement, my needs are much simpler.

I have detailed my needs in the phpgw wiki page under "addbook" here:
http://docs.axisgroupware.org/index.php?page=phpgroupware0916
If you would like to add your needs, feel free to do so there, but I will list
my
needs here as well:

          o CSV file importing directly into addbook with field mapping
          o Ability to add custom data fields
          o Improved interface along the lines of how infolog works
          o A preference for the user to use a mail client or phpgw email which
changes the link from "mailto:"; to a link to phpgw email when email addresses
are
displayed

These needs are based on "addbook". For my purposes, addressbook is unusable. I
need
person/organization separation like many others do. So, it would be easiest for
me
to make a few modifications to addbook to reach my goal. But, I have no
interest in
maintaining my own application, so I would like to contribute to this project if
possible.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds as though development will continue with
addressbook, merging addbook's features into addressbook. This sounds a little
backwards considering addbook is more normalized. And a migration path has more
or
less been written for moving from addressbook to addbook. Wouldn't it be easier
build on addbook?

What exactly is the roadmap for this? Will the new addressbook be built from
scratch? built on addressbook? or built on addbook?

Please let me know if I can help.

Adam Hull (fixe)