Re: automatic decode mime in repl

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: automatic decode mime in repl
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 16:54:15 +0000

Hi Philipp,

> Instand of only depending on the programm name the config can be
> extended to also depend on the calling programm. So you can config
> diffrent options depending on which nmh programm called another nmh
> programm. This could be done by (ab)using argv[0].

Adding yet another style of interface between nmh's parts, which would
have to be documented and users would have to understand and use, seems
wrong.  What's your reason against running mhshow as ‘mhreplyfmt’, or
something?  Is it the need to duplicate all MIME-configuration entries
from ‘mhshow-*’ to ‘mhreplyfmt-*’?

> * mhshow display string can contain '%l' which leads to a listing
> prior to displaying content. This listing is contained in the draft.

Again, the mhreplyfmt-... could choose whether to use it.  I think
I would sometimes want it as part of the reply text, e.g. it's a
one-line summary of a PDF and I want to quote that line for context
about my following chunk of reply.