Re: automatic decode mime in repl

From: Philipp Takacs
Subject: Re: automatic decode mime in repl
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 17:42:18 +0100

[2022-02-06 08:26] Paul Fox <pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> philipp wrote:
>  > [2022-02-05 22:19] Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com>
>  > >
>  > > My only concern with this patch is that it unilaterally overrides the
>  > > existing behavior, and one thing I've seen over the years is that there
>  > > are a LOT of users wedded to existing behavior.  So I'd rather make it
>  > > selectable (I am neutral about it being default or not).  I'd welcome
>  > > discussion on this issue.
>  >
>  > I can understand that a changed behavior is a problem. But in this case
>  > I would argue there is no other way. Every patch witch tries to fix this
>  > will change the existing behavior, because the existing behavior is the
>  > problem.
>  >
>  > So I would prefer no option. But if you want one, I can add an option.
>  > I would prefer the new behavior be the default. Also I would prefer a
>  > build time option over a runtime option. I'm bad at naming, has someone
>  > an idea for the name of such an option.
>
> I haven't tried the patch, but I think any change to basic repl
> behavior should a) be optional, b) be controlled by a runtime option.
> And it should probably have a lot of testing by a lot of users before
> being made the default.
>
> I can't be alone in having customized scripts for doing replies which
> already run mhshow in crafting the reply.  Perhaps everything would
> continue to just work, or perhaps not.

I understand your reasaning. I just fear then this will get just an other
stopgap solution. I would assume most users with a workaround for the
problem will try this once. If it don't work with there workaround, they
will just disable it. If someone brings up the idea of change the default
they would vote against it. I don't want to blame such behavior. This
makes perfect sense from the standpoint of a user with a workaround. It
just don't make nmh better.

I belive reply to a mime message should just work. The best solution
would be implementing mime support in mhl. But this will not happen
for a long time. So the goal should be add a solution[0] and make it the
default. I don't see a reason for an option[1], because I consider the
current behavior as a bug. There shouldn't be an option to enable/disable
a bug.

As said in my previous mail, I'm not complete against an option. I would
just prefere not having one.

Philipp

[0] I don't care if this is my solution or any other. I just don't see
    another solution.

[1] You still can change the showmimeproc to disable this.