Re: automatic decode mime in repl

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: automatic decode mime in repl
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 08:26:28 -0500

philipp wrote:
 > [2022-02-05 22:19] Ken Hornstein <kenh@pobox.com>
 > >
 > > My only concern with this patch is that it unilaterally overrides the
 > > existing behavior, and one thing I've seen over the years is that there
 > > are a LOT of users wedded to existing behavior.  So I'd rather make it
 > > selectable (I am neutral about it being default or not).  I'd welcome
 > > discussion on this issue.
 >
 > I can understand that a changed behavior is a problem. But in this case
 > I would argue there is no other way. Every patch witch tries to fix this
 > will change the existing behavior, because the existing behavior is the
 > problem.
 >
 > So I would prefer no option. But if you want one, I can add an option.
 > I would prefer the new behavior be the default. Also I would prefer a
 > build time option over a runtime option. I'm bad at naming, has someone
 > an idea for the name of such an option.

I haven't tried the patch, but I think any change to basic repl
behavior should a) be optional, b) be controlled by a runtime option.
And it should probably have a lot of testing by a lot of users before
being made the default.

I can't be alone in having customized scripts for doing replies which
already run mhshow in crafting the reply.  Perhaps everything would
continue to just work, or perhaps not.

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma)