Re: automatic decode mime in repl

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: automatic decode mime in repl
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 02:55:06 +0000

Philipp wrote:

> Hi David
>
> I don't understand why do you try to convince me from convertargs.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything.  I'm trying to understand
how nmh could benefit from your patch.  And whether your approach could
be improved by tying it to features that are already in repl (and that
you weren't aware of when you wrote the patch).  And whether your patch
interferes with existing repl features.  And what are both intended and
unintended uses of the new feature.

To clear up some things:
* replyaliases is not required to use convertargs.  The replyaliases
  shell functions can boil down to this:
    repl -filter mhl.replywithoutbody -convertargs text/html ''
  That can be entered on the command line, of course.  And of course,
  it's much easier to put that in an alias or function.

* We could just as easily make that convertargs behavior the default,
  as we could make the behavior of your patch the default.  But as
  noted previously, there are good reasons for not doing that.

* Your nmh installation is broken, as you observed.  I expect that the
  cause was deleting par after nmh was installed.  The test suite did
  the right thing by alerting you to the deficiency.  We could guide
  you through (easy) repair of your installation, but I would instead
  suggest a complete rebuild, if you built from sources, or re-install
  if you obtained a pre-built package.

> How can I use it from other things then a Bourne-compatible shell?

The same way all nmh commands are used from other than a Bourne-
compatible shell.

> As far as I see you
> would need to port contrib/replaliases to all these interfaces

There's no need.  replaliases contains Bourne-shell functions for
convenience, that's all.

Alternatively, a user can add those switches to their profile.  Or,
a user can rely on whatever method they'd like to add arguments to a
command line.  That's one of the beauties of MH/nmh.

> So in genaral convertargs looks like a stopgap solution. I wanted to
> have a solution and I have this solution since 2016.

I've been using convertargs since 2014.

> The question is: Do you want it?

Not with its current handling of URLs.  How do you handle URLs in
messages that you reply to?