Re: automatic decode mime in repl

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: automatic decode mime in repl
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 22:19:56 -0500

>Reply to mime messages is an old problem. I have an idea to workaround
>or fix this. Instand of adding mime to mhl, repl could also first decode
>mime before pipe the mail to mhl. This can be done by mhshow.
>
>I have attached a patch for this.

>From a purely architectural perspective, I think that having mhl be
MIME-aware is the correct solution.  But I must acknowledge the reality
on the ground:

- This has been a problem for a very long time

- Stopgap solutions (like replyfilter) have not made much headway, because
  they require end-user configuration.

- Getting a MIME-aware mhl (really, all of nmh) is a huge job.

- I believe "perfect is the enemy of the good".

My only concern with this patch is that it unilaterally overrides the
existing behavior, and one thing I've seen over the years is that there
are a LOT of users wedded to existing behavior.  So I'd rather make it
selectable (I am neutral about it being default or not).  I'd welcome
discussion on this issue.

--Ken