Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:33:43 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:09:06 -0700 (PDT) Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> wrote:

XL> On Jul 28, 2:31 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> If you think the cost is 4 hours of work and none to the users, I think
>> you're disconnected from reality (or have no experience writing manuals,
>> software, and doing user support).

XL> What exactly is your reason? What exactly is your argument about my
XL> paragraph? You have to give explicit reason to disagree. You cannot
XL> simply say i'm disconnected from reality. That makes no sense. Maybe
XL> it is obvious to you. But i sincerely don't know what you are talking
XL> about.

In that case I suggest you start by making your change suggestion
through the proper channels, not in this newsgroup.  I don't feel like
explaining to you basic facts about man-hours, volunteer labor, and the
hundreds of thousands of Emacs users that would deal with that change.
Again, I'm not being rude, just unwilling to spend my time explaining
all this when you don't appear to have any experience writing manuals,
software, or doing user support.

XL> And why you feel like needing to give me advice? Do you know that
XL> giving unasked advice is insulting?

I advise you to drop that line of reasoning.

XL> Can i teach you something too? The thing i want to teach is that, if
XL> you want to drop a conversation, one effective way is to start by
XL> yourself.

Agreed.  Note I haven't discussed any technical issues with your change
suggestion.  I've only suggested (4-5 times now) that you should submit
it through the proper channels if you want to see it happen.  I'm also
answering your questions.

XL> What do you want? Why you telling me what to do?

XL> If you want me to stop using “Alt+‹key›” in my post here, then, i'm
XL> sorry, i cannot comply because you have no right.

XL> If you think that my use “Alt+‹key›” is just totally wrong in the
XL> context of emacs. Sorry, i disagree.

XL> If you want to post a warning message everytime i used “Alt+‹key›”, so
XL> that newbies understands that it is not emacs's conventional notation,
XL> that's fine.

Meta is the preferred notation, used in the Emacs manual and community.
You should use it when participating in Emacs help forums, with a
footnote about Alt.  That would be most helpful to the users who have to
deal with the manual and with other helpful people who will only use
Meta in their messages.  Feel free to use a big footnote, though, with a
link to your web page and whatever else you like.

I hope you'll do this.  If not, you'll probably keep getting corrected
and the corrections will be increasingly harsher as people are more
annoyed with you.

Ted