Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:54:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 3:14 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> > By the way, it's a classic netiquette that chiding for off topicality
> > is in general not a good thing. Namely, if this channel is not for
> > feature suggestion, nor is it for telling others it is not. Because,
> > that usually leads to more argument. Btw, the netquette is in one of
> > the RFC.
>
> Why would I intend less argument?

> Really, I do want this topic to be explored and I'm not disregarding it
> at all.  I am merely saying it should be discussed with participation of
> the developers.  The only way of "succeeding" is going through them,
> anyway.  And it seems unfair to bring up the issue here, where they
> can't comment on why things have stayed the way they are.

thanks for encouraging the discussion.

No, i don't think discussing here will make emacs change. However, i
do think it does help make problems visible. I mean, the visibility
will be increased, so developers are more likely to know about this
issue whether they agree it's a prob or not. After all, many emacs
developers read here i was told.

> Maybe the
> only reason some parts of Emacs haven't been updated is because of
> missing man power.  Who knows?  Maybe you can start on those 4 hours of
> query-replace, then.

Thanks for the encouragement. I just might down the road start my own
emacs cult... creating a emacs distro that's just my ideal of what
functional, BEST efficient, software should be like. I have actually
thought about this several times in the past year. For one thing, it's
very difficult to change GNU Emacs on issues such as these.

The most effective way to make such change, is just have a capable
coder and fork it, like Xemacs and Aquamacs did. Then, it'll wipe out
emacs marketshare almost overnight. Then, the GNU Emacs people will,
without any asking, seriously do all the changes, as it happened with
Xemacs. (in my opinion, Xemacs is largely responsible for propelling
user oriennted features we see in emacs today, took emacs about a
decade to catch up.)

So, either i try to spend tons of time to be the salesman for emacs
modernization, or i actually take things into my hands and start my
own emacs distro. The actually coding part for the latter will prob be
dwarfed by all the associated tasks of running a website with public
annoucement and communities etc.

When i run my own emacs distro, info doc will be considered
supplementary to html/xhtml. HTML will be the primary doc format, with
its 1000 times more user base and tools and perhaps 10 times more
technically powerful and flexible. But likely the html will still be
generated by texinfo. Doc in info format will still be used i think,
since it's a beautiful plain text hyperlink doc system. (ok, i'm
allowed to have some wild future vision here...)

PS one element that came to me i missed in the discussion of the labor
of using the Alt+‹key› notation in emacs is that the notation should
also show in menus, of course. (as opposed to just changing the info
doc) I haven't looked at coding menus in elisp... would it be just
change one source code location for keybinding display and all menus
of every mode will display using the “Alt+‹key›” notation?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/