Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:22:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 4:42 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumac...@web.de> wrote:
> Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here're some reason i think emacs should adopt the Alt+‹key› or
> > Alt-‹key› notation throughout its documentation.
>
> This mailing list is not for feature suggestions or bug reports.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

Thank you. I'm aware of it though.

Perhaps we can blame Ted, he started to correct me or point out about
my use of the notation of “Alt+‹key›”.

To wit, he said:
«
Please note that Alt is not the preferred prefix name for Emacs
purposes.  It's Meta, abbreviated M (e.g. M-x), for two reasons:
1) ...
2) ...
»

Note his use of the word “preferred”, and he gave reasons.  I don't
agree that it is not preferred, and i don't agree about the reasons he
gave.  So, I replied with my justfication. Lenart and Florian replied
to discuss further, and i did too.

I clarified and extended some points about the issue today, please
see:

 http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_meta_key.html

The essay's sub headings pretty much summarize it:
• Universally understood
• Notation Same as Key Label
• Meta is Alt in practice
• Keyboards don't have Meta key today
• Misc

By the way, it's a classic netiquette that chiding for off topicality
is in general not a good thing. Namely, if this channel is not for
feature suggestion, nor is it for telling others it is not. Because,
that usually leads to more argument. Btw, the netquette is in one of
the RFC.

I have written a lot about netiquette actually, please have a look
here
http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/troll.html
Comment and feedback welcome.

  Xah