Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:31:49 -0500

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:28:19 -0700 (PDT) Xah Lee <xah@xahlee.org> wrote:

XL> On Jul 28, 12:57 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:02:09 -0700 (PDT)XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
XL> emacs's manual is about maybe 4 hour's work by a few interactive find-
XL> replace operations in emacs, helped with eye balling.
>>
XL> There is basically no cost to users. Any new user will immediately
XL> understand “Alt+‹key›” and perhaps feel this is a great improvement.
XL> Old emacs users might get a mental shock for the first hour when their
XL> hear about this change in emacs 23's change log, that's about it. Same
XL> for “C-” vs “Ctrl+” notation.
>>
>> OK, since you're not even remotely connected to reality, I'll drop this
>> topic.

XL> I tried to answer your question.

If you think the cost is 4 hours of work and none to the users, I think
you're disconnected from reality (or have no experience writing manuals,
software, and doing user support).

>> You don't understand.  I am against this change (for reasons I listed),
>> but I encourage you to submit it through the proper channels if you want
>> to have any chance of making it happen.  Otherwise you're wasting
>> everyone's time.

XL> I'm aware you are against the change. I thought i answered your
XL> question though. No need be rude ok? I tried not to.

My point is that debating here is not going to make the change happen.
If you feel strongly, propose the change and discuss it through the
proper channels.  I am not being rude.

XL> I have interest in discussion. You are the one first started the issue
XL> about my use of the Alt+‹key› notation in this message:
XL> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/msg/e8592f0da7dec5e1?

XL> I replied to answer your complain.

It's not a complaint, it's a correction based on the Emacs manual.

>> I go by what's in the Emacs manual.  You go by your opinion.  Which do
>> you think is more useful to a user?

XL> Emacs manual is written by people, and it solicits corrections and
XL> suggestions.

XL> Any manual, improves by corrections and suggestions. Books works that
XL> way too. Many of the corrections and suggestions are from the readers,
XL> such as you and me.

I agree.  Make the suggestion through the proper channels; meanwhile
let's keep using Meta when we help users (feel free to make a note that
Alt is the default key bound to that modifier on most modern systems).
Otherwise you're not helping users as much as you could, and you'll keep
getting corrected.

Ted