Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:28:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 28, 12:57 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:02:09 -0700 (PDT)XahLee<x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
>
> XL> On Jul 28, 6:39 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>
> >> You have to consider the *cost* of breaking something like the Meta
> >> convention, not just the benefit.

> XL> emacs's manual is about maybe 4 hour's work by a few interactive find-
> XL> replace operations in emacs, helped with eye balling.
>
> XL> There is basically no cost to users. Any new user will immediately
> XL> understand “Alt+‹key›” and perhaps feel this is a great improvement.
> XL> Old emacs users might get a mental shock for the first hour when their
> XL> hear about this change in emacs 23's change log, that's about it. Same
> XL> for “C-” vs “Ctrl+” notation.
>
> OK, since you're not even remotely connected to reality, I'll drop this
> topic.

Hum?

I tried to answer your question.

> >> But feel free to suggest it through the proper channels as others
> >> have mentioned.
>
> XL> Thanks. If you find this point about notation in manual has some
> XL> merit, please help me set records straight.  You can mention it to
> XL> your emacs buddies, or link to my article in your blog, etc.
>
> You don't understand.  I am against this change (for reasons I listed),
> but I encourage you to submit it through the proper channels if you want
> to have any chance of making it happen.  Otherwise you're wasting
> everyone's time.

I'm aware you are against the change. I thought i answered your
question though. No need be rude ok? I tried not to.

> I don't have a blog.  I don't have "emacs buddies."  I don't have time
> to debate this since you don't appear to have any interest in reality.

I have interest in discussion. You are the one first started the issue
about my use of the Alt+‹key› notation in this message:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/msg/e8592f0da7dec5e1?

I replied to answer your complain.

Ok, i think i understand now. You are not a native English speaker.
Perhaps in your original message, all you are trying to say is to tell
the original poster that “Alt+‹key›” is not emacs's conventional
notation for keyboard shortcuts. Is that all you are trying to say?
Never mind my replies then.

> XL> Perhaps we can blame Ted, he started to correct me or point out about
> XL> my use of the notation of “Alt+‹key›”.
> XL> Note his use of the word “preferred”, and he gave reasons.  I don't
> XL> agree that it is not preferred, and i don't agree about the reasons he
> XL> gave.
>
> I go by what's in the Emacs manual.  You go by your opinion.  Which do
> you think is more useful to a user?

Emacs manual is written by people, and it solicits corrections and
suggestions.

Any manual, improves by corrections and suggestions. Books works that
way too. Many of the corrections and suggestions are from the readers,
such as you and me.

In this thread, the discussion came to the point where i offered a
suggestion. You don't agree. That's ok. Good to know. Maybe it is
good, maybe it is bad, maybe emacs will will change, maybe not. No
problem.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/