help-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?


From: Xah
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
User-agent: G2/1.0

On Jul 29, 7:33 am, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:09:06 -0700 (PDT)XahLee<address@hidden> wrote:
>
> XL> On Jul 28, 2:31 pm, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> If you think the cost is 4 hours of work and none to the users, I think
> >> you're disconnected from reality (or have no experience writing manuals,
> >> software, and doing user support).
>
> XL> What exactly is your reason? What exactly is your argument about my
> XL> paragraph? You have to give explicit reason to disagree. You cannot
> XL> simply say i'm disconnected from reality. That makes no sense. Maybe
> XL> it is obvious to you. But i sincerely don't know what you are talking
> XL> about.
>
> In that case I suggest you start by making your change suggestion
> through the proper channels, not in this newsgroup.  I don't feel like
> explaining to you basic facts about man-hours, volunteer labor, and the
> hundreds of thousands of Emacs users that would deal with that change.
> Again, I'm not being rude, just unwilling to spend my time explaining
> all this when you don't appear to have any experience writing manuals,
> software, or doing user support.

Can you keep to topic instead giving me extraneous advice?

For example, i suggest you more books about philosophy, critical
thinking. I don't mean to be rude, but really, reading those books
will help you discuss more fruitfully, even if you don't have real
world experience working in a large software project.

You may think this is a jab. But no, i do think that way just as you
perhaps earnest in thinking i lack experience in writing manuals.

Do you wish to compare our credentials? Is that what this comes down
to?

> XL> And why you feel like needing to give me advice? Do you know that
> XL> giving unasked advice is insulting?
>
> I advise you to drop that line of reasoning.
>
> XL> Can i teach you something too? The thing i want to teach is that, if
> XL> you want to drop a conversation, one effective way is to start by
> XL> yourself.
>
> Agreed.  Note I haven't discussed any technical issues with your change
> suggestion.  I've only suggested (4-5 times now) that you should submit
> it through the proper channels if you want to see it happen.  I'm also
> answering your questions.

Stop telling me whats the proper channel. You began this conversation.
The proper channel for telling me my use of Alt-‹key› is wrong then
perhaps is email.

> XL> What do you want? Why you telling me what to do?
>
> XL> If you want me to stop using “Alt+‹key›” in my post here, then, i'm
> XL> sorry, i cannot comply because you have no right.
>
> XL> If you think that my use “Alt+‹key›” is just totally wrong in the
> XL> context of emacs. Sorry, i disagree.
>
> XL> If you want to post a warning message everytime i used “Alt+‹key›”, so
> XL> that newbies understands that it is not emacs's conventional notation,
> XL> that's fine.
>
> Meta is the preferred notation, used in the Emacs manual and community.
> You should use it when participating in Emacs help forums, with a
> footnote about Alt.  That would be most helpful to the users who have to
> deal with the manual and with other helpful people who will only use
> Meta in their messages.  Feel free to use a big footnote, though, with a
> link to your web page and whatever else you like.

Sorry, as i said, i dont agree. I have given a lot detailed
explanations on why.

> I hope you'll do this.  If not, you'll probably keep getting corrected
> and the corrections will be increasingly harsher as people are more
> annoyed with you.

You are fine to express your opinions. If they get annoyed by my
opinion, or gets harsh on me, that's ok. I'm used to express
unorthodox opinions and used to the reactions. I tried to be civil at
least in this thread.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]