[Gomp-discuss] Re: OpenMP, HPC, and the future of GCC

From: Per Bothner
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Re: OpenMP, HPC, and the future of GCC
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:21:53 -0800

Steven Bosscher wrote:

Nobody has said you're responsible for that.  Nobody has said you're
required to merge it.

No, but the following (your words) comes awfully close to asking for
pre-approval:

> But if that is how the majority of the GCC developer community feels
> about OpenMP, then why would anyone spend time on developing the idea?
> I know that I'd rather spend a few hours doing some contract research
> to fund my new vendor compiler if nobody will ever accept my patches
> for GCC.

b) That is whoever is willing and capable (by the judgement of whoever
rejects or accepts patches) of helping with the development of GCC. Clearly you don't understand this, instead you seem to be a purist with
no sense of what is asked for in a compiler in the real world.

No, I'm saying we cannot be all things to all people, nor can we
accept all patches, even if they are useful in themselves.

Oh is it?  I don't think so.  If you already know you would reject it
because *you* don't like the desing, then why don't you say that now.

As to the design of the specification:  The first impression is not
positive, but perhaps with further study I could appreciate its
virtues.  In any case, it's a standard, and it seems to be popular,
so it is reasonable to implement it.

As to the design of the implementation:  That is the issue.  It may
be difficult to implement it cleanly, and the advice from Neil Booth,
David Edelsohn, Jan Hubicka, and others should be taken to heart.

BS.

I'll buy you a beer (if I ever meet you:) if you can name me just one
such designs [for 'multi threading' or 'native parallellism'] that
> works out-of-the-box for C/C++ and Fortran and that is as populair
> as OpenMP.

Ok, I get it:  OpenMP is popular.  Of course that is no guarantee
of good design or long life.

Also, we've said before that we don't design concurrency support around
OpenMP, but rather we want to develop a framework to support
concurrency.  OpenMP would be just one thing that can be built on that.

Great.

Also, you said this morning that C++ isn't so well designed.

That is not what I said.  I said C++ is an excessingly complicated
language.  I think very few people will dispute that.  It is also
a very powerful and useful language.  I think C++ is a much better
language to write (say) compilers in than C, or Java (if you want
it to be fast and/or small).

Why do you think more people use C++ than Java?

Are you sure?

You probably don't understand that, ...

I have many years of C++ programming experience. I took over from
Doug Lea as the official maintainer of the GNU C++ library libg++,
and maintained it for years; if you look at /usr/include/libio.h
on a GNU/Linux system you will find my name as the author of the
original combined C stdio and C++ iostream library; and I was briefly
a member of the C++ standardization committee.  I understand very
well the virtues and usefulness of C++.

If you want to have a compiler that only implements "quality standards"
by your measures, then clearly GCC is just an academic project to you.

Vectorizing is orthogonal to this discussion.  It has nothing to do with
OpenMP.  Never has, never will.

And, nobody was even talking about vectorization in this thread, let
alone "new vectorization" whatever that may be.

I was using vectorization as an example of a HPC concern, which is
mentioned in teh subject line of this thread.

Oh hear, is this a SC member is speaking?

Yes, but not officially.

I'm sorry, but your whole mail just sucks, and your attitude makes me
sick.

Oh, grow up.
--
        --Per Bothner