Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbies should neither be seen nor heard
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:03:20 +1000

> > > my shell of choice (bash) has a known problem with filenames starting with
> > > =. So the {a <TAB> works fine but the following =t <TAB> doesn't.
> >
> > But if you backslash-escape the =, it does work, e.g. \=t <TAB>.

Another workaround, another barrier to entry.

> I know that. As I said before, I got used to the arch naming conventions.
> My point remains that I'm far from actually *liking* them.

You should not have to like them. The technical reasons for their
existence should be self evident, or clearly described somewhere,
or else the conventions should be changed to be more, what's the
word? oh - I've got it ... conventional.

:)

(I hope no one takes offense at my sarcasm - apologies in advance if so
- as said, I have personally come to like the conventions, and I do
believe it would behoove us to change (at least some of) them.)

cheers
zen