Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0

From: dryad
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:35:59 -0000 (GMT)

> An alternate lore:
>
> Humans have recently discovered unmanned hyperspace flight and have found
> bunch of new planets. They want to terraform the new planets. So different
> terraforming companies are competing against each other to terraform each
> new planet. (even though they all use the same technology provided by the
> same research facility, we can work this fact into some kind of conspiracy
> theory in the lore.)
>
> The globs are sent by humans to these new planets to terraform them. When
> globs from different companies land on the same planet, they try to wipe
> each other out so that they can claim the planet for their own. That's why
> you win if you wipe out other companies' globs. You also win by earning
> prestige for your company if your globs successfully complete terraforming
> the planet first (again, separating prestige system from level 3 schools
> by
> introducing a new building which purpose is to terraform the planet)
>
> Why your globs can harvest out of sight resources - a satellite sweep of
> the
> planet happened in the past.
>
> I think this is a lighter storyline if we want to go in this direction. Or
> we could try to blend it in with dryad's story.
>
> Thanks.

this is good too, but just 2 very important questions:

1 why has a company who can use hyperspace jumps sent steampowered
machines to fight other companies and not nuclear powered drones for
example?

2 this means that globes are directly controlled by humans and not
self-evolving creatures.

graphically speaking the second one is not that relevant, but the first
one is a lot.

in the first case majority of changes are in the interface, for example
they may use a language to communicate, cause they need to say something
to humans too.

in the second, the design of the units and stuff will be human related.