Re: [emacs-bidi] Display routines

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Display routines
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 08:15:24 -0500

>> From: Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:34:32 -0500
>>
>> Would it make good sense to start work on modifying the display
>> routines to work with bidirectional text?
>
> That's what I'm doing now.

Ah, I see.  Okay.

>> A prototype would be based on a embedded-level text property, which
>> would have a value consistant with that of UAX#9.
>
> The current design does not call for text properties as the vehicle
> for storing the embedding level information.  This information is
> computed by the implementation of the UAX#9 algorithm, so it doesn't
> make much sense to store it as text properties.  Text properties are
> for something that is external to the text, and which cannot be
> computed from the text alone.

I realize that.  I had considered using text-properties as a
prototype only, with the idea that the design using the UAX#9
algorithm would supercede it later.  It was merely my intended way of
testing mucking with the display code so that it could handle rtl
semantics.  Although I admit, the idea of being able to make any text
rtl (or ltr) based on a text property seems like a nifty hack to me
(if not very useful in the least).  :)

--
Michael Duggan
(address@hidden)