Re: [emacs-bidi] Display routines

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Display routines
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:33:23 +0200

On Tue, 06 Nov 2001 18:54:18 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > (what is cp-1255 anyway?)
>
> It's identical to 8859-8, except that the codes in the range 128..159
> have characters that are outside iso8859-8 set (a.k.a. MS extensions).

In my hebeng.el package you can choose the Hebrew type used (UNIX/DOS).

> As for the paragraph main direction, after lots of thinking, I
> propose the following model:
>
>   - If the user wants to force the paragraph to be of a certain
>     directionality, she should type the LRM or RLM code as the first
>     character of the paragraph.
>
>   - Otherwise, Emacs will decide the paragraph direction by looking
>     at the first strong character: if it's R, the direction will be
>     RTL, otherwise it will be LTR.

The 2nd option encloses the 1st since LRM and RLM are considered
strong L / R characters.

> > -> visual2logical-region in case you pasted something in the wrong
> >    direction
>
> Do you envision a possibility of buffers with visual order?  If so,
> could you tell why do you think such buffers are required?

I think he meant pasting from other applications through the clipboard.
And I think this is needed as a special "visual-hebrew-paste" function.

> > -> an algorithm for some support for "rectangle" in bidi texts
> > (may be a pain, that last one)
>
> There has been some discussion on the Emacs development list (or was
> it bug-gnu-emacs? I forget which one) about the need for
> non-contiguous regions.  If something like that gets added to Emacs,
> we could use it for bidi.

I'm not sure what he wants here, but the functions in hebeng.el has the
ability to work on rectangles through another package I wrote (which
uses 3 kinds of marked areas - characters, lines & Block).

May be Matan will make his intentions clearer (with example, please).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign