dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Larry Siden
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 20:52:21 -0400

As I recently purchased what I'm hoping is a pretty reliable CDROM/DVD
+/- R/RW burner, I've been following this thread with much interest.
I tried both dvdrecord and growisofs - dvdrecord for burning media,
and growisofs for data backup.  As I've had some trouble using both
while I still work out the kinks left by relics of Linux 2.2 on my 2.6
kernel (devfs, for example), I'm no longer sure what works best for my
kind of burner.

FWIW, I have a "LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S" (as per
/proc/ide/hdc/model).  How can I find out whether matches Sony/Philips
or DVD Consortium?  Is there something I can look for?

Concerning dvdrecord and growisofs, is one prefered over the other for
burning music/video?  Has anyone used either of these with the Perl
program DVD::RIP (see http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/doc/install.cipp)?

--
Larry Siden
http://umich.edu/~lsiden/