dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] unable to write dvd-r with linux kernel 1.6
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 16:27:21 +1200

On Fri 13 May 2005 15:09:54 NZST +1200, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 09:37 +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > In this case it looks like you may have to erase the disk first,
>
> This is a DVD+R/+RW concept.  In DVD+R/+RW, the organization is
> physically the same, and pie-slice MO, hence why you don't understand
> how DVD-R is different.

On your crusade to explain the interesting details of the differences
between formats (and that I'm clueless, to which I'm starting to take
exception), you're starting to miss the bigger picture. The way I read
the posted output it seemed to be a dvd-rom, but then if the software
incl kernel is malfunctioning, the output may be incorrect. If it is
indeed a dvd-rom in the burner, then that could be an explanation for
the resulting error. From memory, forgetting to erase a disk which needs
to be erased before burning again produces somewhat similar looking
output. I didn't investigate in great detail though, but it was worth
mentioning as a possibility. This has nothing to do with grooves,
magneto optical, trenches, pie slices or mince pies. If indeed the only
thing that has changed is the Linux kernel from 2.4 to 2.6, the
dvdrecord error is probably caused by dvdrecord being maladapted to that
2.6 kernel, spitting a few SCSI errors as result. Again, I fail to see
what that has to do with recording formats or mince pies.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.