Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin

From: David Linker
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:41:46 -0700

Please see answers below.

On Oct 12, 2004, at 11:09 PM, Klaus Rudolph wrote:

[snip]

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=3Dlink g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o simulavr main.o=20
../src/libavrsim_pp.la=20
/Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a /libiberty.a
g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o .libs/simulavr main.o  -L../src/.libs -lavrsim_pp=20
/Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a /libiberty.a
ld: Undefined symbols:
_dcgettext

dcgettext is normaly located in libc!. That is a bit misterious.
Maybe this is the reult of wrong order linking. I could not test this what
makes me not very happy.

Could you please try to link the program manually:
simply copy the last output and change maybe the order of linked libraries.
And please link from you compile path of avr-gcc-binutils path.

I tried to build manually, but got the same errors. I tried changing the order, but was unable to fix it. I am afraid that I am very inexperienced with complicated compiler flags, so I may be missing some opportunities. Any suggestions welcome!

[snip]

Please use nm to find if the symbol is used or defined in a lib. If you try
nm libbfd.a|grep dcgettext you will get U _dcgettext
this means that libbfd.a used dcgettext.
in libc.a you will find
00000 T __dcgettext
so this is defined here.

The first test, with nm libbfd.a worked correctly, with the result that you stated (along with a whole lot of other stuff).

I then found libc.a in /usr/local/avr/lib, and tried nm on it, and got:
nm: archive: /usr/local/avr/lib/libc.a contains no members that are object files

Suggestions welcome.

David Linker