Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:09:54 +0200 (MEST)

Hi David,

could you please press the answer all button when you reply to our mails.
I think it make sense that other developers are also able to read our thread
and not only my part of the answers. Especially the build system problems
must be read by Bill, so please give him a chance for this :-)

> I did a grep for POLLRDBAND on my entire harddrive, and found it in=20
> some old archive files from older versions of the OS, called=20
> OpenTransportProtocol.h. Using what I saw in that file, I defined the=20
> following which I added to poll.h:
>
> #define POLLRDNORM  0x40
> #define POLLRDBAND  0x80
> #define POLLWRNORM  0x100
> #define POLLWRBAND  0x200
> #define POLLMSG     0x400

I think we run later into problems. But for a first test this will be OK.
I hope the poll function will not test for other bits here :-)

> g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o .libs/simulavr main.o  -L../src/.libs -lavrsim_pp=20
> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a /libiberty.a
> g++: /libiberty.a: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [simulavr] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

That is work for Bill I think.

> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=3Dlink g++ -O2 -g -O2   -o simulavr  main.o=20
> ../src/libavrsim_pp.la=20
> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a /libiberty.a
> g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o .libs/simulavr main.o  -L../src/.libs -lavrsim_pp=20
> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a /libiberty.a
> ld: Undefined symbols:
> _dcgettext

dcgettext is normaly located in libc!. That is a bit misterious.
Maybe this is the reult of wrong order linking. I could not test this what
makes me not very happy.

Could you please try to link the program manually:
simply copy the last output and change maybe the order of linked libraries.
And please link from you compile path of avr-gcc-binutils path.

> I did grep in binutils and found lots of references to _dcgettext in=20
> lots of files. I am not sure where to go from here, but I would be
> glad to try things that you suggest.

grepping through libraries is not the idea:-)

Please use nm to find if the symbol is used or defined in a lib. If you try
nm libbfd.a|grep dcgettext you will get U _dcgettext
this means that libbfd.a used dcgettext.
in libc.a you will find
00000 T __dcgettext
so this is defined here.

I hope that I´m not wrong in this point.

@Bill: Please try to reconstruct the problmes of linking from /libiberty.a
@Bill: This is a bug I think.
@Bill: What do you think about unresolved _dcgettext?
@Bill: And have you also an idea what is whith poll.h? I´m not really clear