Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin

From: Oleg Batrashev
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:47:04 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, David Linker wrote:

> I am trying to build simulavrxx on Mac OS X 10.3.5. I have already
> installed the avr-gcc tools and binutils via fink.
>
> When I run configure, it goes OK for a while, and then I get an error,
> reproduced at the bottom of this post. It complains about not finding
> libbfd.
>
> I have done the following:
> - Looked for libbfd using find, but could not find anything
> - Downloaded the source for binutils, and run make install_libbfd,
> which installed into /usr/local/lib. I then ran configure for
> simulavrxx with --with-bfd-path=/usr/local/lib, but got the same error
>
> Any ideas on what to try now?

Yes, I had the same problem.
configure script checks for libbfd.la (libtool library?) not for libbfd.a
or .so or anything.
I dont know is that correct behaviour, but I copied another libtool
library and changed its contents to match libbfd (or I just used libtool
to generate that, do not remember :) . Anyway, that works for me.

(The "source" of configure in "configure.ac")
contents of my recently created /usr/lib/libbfd.la
---------- FILE BEGIN ---------
# libbfd.la - a libtool library file
# Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.5.6 (1.1220.2.95 2004/04/11
05:50:42) Debian: 215 $
#
# Please DO NOT delete this file!
# It is necessary for linking the library.

# The name that we can dlopen(3).
dlname='libbfd.so'

# Names of this library.
library_names=''

# The name of the static archive.
old_library='libbfd.a'

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=''

# Version information for libbfd.
current=
age=
revision=

# Is this an already installed library?
installed=yes

# Should we warn about portability when linking against -modules?
shouldnotlink=no

# Files to dlopen/dlpreopen
dlopen=''
dlpreopen=''

# Directory that this library needs to be installed in:
libdir='/usr/lib'

Oleg