Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Trouble building simulavrxx on Darwin
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:03:10 -0400

Klaus Rudolph wrote:

| Hi David,
|
| could you please press the answer all button when you reply to our
| mails....

yes please. Would anyone object to my changing the default reply-to
for this mailing list? I think I can set it to reply-to list instead
of sender...(I have the same problem ;-})

|> I did a grep for POLLRDBAND on my entire harddrive, and found it
|> in=20 some old archive files from older versions of the OS,
|> called=20 OpenTransportProtocol.h. Using what I saw in that file,
|> I defined the=20 following which I added to poll.h:
|>
|> #define POLLRDNORM  0x40 #define POLLRDBAND  0x80 #define
|> POLLWRNORM  0x100 #define POLLWRBAND  0x200 #define POLLMSG
|> 0x400

This make me uneasy....Klaus and I will probably chat offline about
this...but for now, lets get the tool to build/link....if this is
wrong, we will find out eventually ;-)

| I think we run later into problems. But for a first test this will
| be OK. I hope the poll function will not test for other bits here
| :-)
|
|> g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o .libs/simulavr main.o  -L../src/.libs
|> -lavrsim_pp=20
|> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a
|> /libiberty.a g++: /libiberty.a: No such file or directory
|> make[2]: *** [simulavr] Error 1 make[1]: *** [all] Error 2 make:
|> *** [all-recursive] Error 1
|

| That is work for Bill I think.

Yes. I did not investigate this part of the build...I should have
since it's probably the same problem as libbfd. Sorry about that everyone!

|> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=3Dlink g++ -O2 -g -O2   -o simulavr
|> main.o=20 ../src/libavrsim_pp.la=20
|> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a
|> /libiberty.a g++ -O2 -g -O2 -o .libs/simulavr main.o
|> -L../src/.libs -lavrsim_pp=20
|> /Users/dtlinker/Desktop/AVR-GCC/binutils-2.15/bfd/libbfd.a
|> /libiberty.a ld: Undefined symbols: _dcgettext
|

| dcgettext is normaly located in libc!. That is a bit misterious.
| Maybe this is the reult of wrong order linking. I could not test
| this what makes me not very happy.
|
| Could you please try to link the program manually: simply copy the
| last output and change maybe the order of linked libraries. And
| please link from you compile path of avr-gcc-binutils path.
|
|> I did grep in binutils and found lots of references to _dcgettext
|> in=20 lots of files. I am not sure where to go from here, but I
|> would be glad to try things that you suggest.
|>

| grepping through libraries is not the idea:-)
|
| Please use nm to find if the symbol is used or defined in a lib. If
| you try nm libbfd.a|grep dcgettext you will get U _dcgettext this
| means that libbfd.a used dcgettext. in libc.a you will find 00000 T
| __dcgettext so this is defined here.
|
| I hope that I´m not wrong in this point.
|
| @Bill: Please try to reconstruct the problmes of linking from
| /libiberty.a @Bill: This is a bug I think.

Agreed.

| @Bill: What do you think about unresolved _dcgettext?

What is this, where do you think it is defined? i.e. what .o file in
what .a or .so file? I'll look too, but I suspect you have already
done some investigation..

| @Bill: And have you also an idea what is whith poll.h? I´m not
| really clear about the usage @Bill: of the constants I used (maybe
| copied form somewhere :-). I will look out for

I was wondering the same >:->

| @Bill: this problem. Maybe we need to remove the constants in a
| conditional @Bill: compile (#ifdef) for OS X. So if you could
| prepare a macro to determine the os I will patch this in.  Thanks!

If it has to be patched, I can probably do that. (it will be
conditioned on what I detect on configure, after all)