screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:30:20 -0500

    After that date we published updates through openSUSE.

Oh.  I had no idea.  I'm glad to hear there have been subsequent
releases!  Can you please copy over the releases to ftp.gnu.org, and
send future announcements to address@hidden
(Or maybe Micah can do these things. :)

    I'd like to ask the copyright owner *not* to kick GPLv2.

It's not my decision.  You can ask rms for an exception.  In the absence
of any technical reason not to upgrade, his prevailing goal is for all
GNU packages to move to GPLv3+.

    Portions of screen code where reused in the past in other projects,
    one example was irsii, if I recall correctly; another one should be
    readline.

If there is code reuse on an ongoing basis, then that would be an
argument that could sway him.  If irsii and readline just copied code
once and then maintained it themselves, it's not going to be much of a
factor.

Anyway, please write him ... he's the only one who can decide for sure,
one way or the other.

    I believe GPLv2 wasn't such a bad license

No one says it was.  Well, no one involved with GNU anyway :).

    Is this a plausible point of view?

Sure, but whether rms will find it convincing, I would not want to
hazard a guess.

    PS: The only other issue I have with GPLv3 is its size. :-)

Yeah, I hear you :).

Best,
Karl