screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] screen maintainer?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:58:37 -0700

Thunderbird occasionally mistakes the quoting levels, apparently. For
some reason, your response is "deeper" than mine.

Juergen Weigert wrote:
> Karl, your input is appreciated on this.
>
> On Jun 12, 08 11:02:47 -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> Hm, just to be clear, I was speaking of myself when I spoke of a
> "vice-maintainer"; you'll still need to find someone to be the "real"
> maintainer,
>
>> Agreed, welcome fellow Vice-Maintainer :-)

Thank you. :)

>> I've flicked a few switches on https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/screen/
>> you should feel more comfortable there now.
>
>> Can you help us finding additional staff?
>> You mentioned that you were successful on that with wget, so ...

Heh. I really didn't do much: it was a short blurb I posted, at the
suggestion of one of our GSoC students, Saint Xavier (to whom I'm very
grateful). I guess just more people watch those than I had thought.

But I'll try to post something up. Perhaps it would be better to wait a
bit until I have a better idea of the work that needs doing.

> I think, unless that would be help enough to allow you to
> remain in that role; there will at least need to be someone else to take
> on most of the actual development stuff.
>
>> We have a decent backlock of bugs and patches filed at savannah.
>> Working on these alone, plus some VCS is an appreciated step forward.

Alright.

There are a few bugs that are set to the "Fixed" state, but are not
"Closed". Some of these have had additional comments since they were
marked "Fixed". For instance, https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?15921 has
an additional patch that was added after the fix (the patch looks like
it might perhaps be useful, but I'm doubtful whether it's related to the
actual bug report to which it's attached). Another example is
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?16483, which has some comments about the
handling of free()s, in the patch that had been applied some years earlier.

As to migrating to a different VCS: have you guys given some thought as
to which ones you would prefer? You mentioned Subversion and Git. I'll
note that Coreutils and Gnulib are both using Git currently. I've
certainly come to appreciate the preservation of all commit history in
DAG form in DVCSses, as well as the convenience of being able to make
commits to a repository without a net connection, with Wget's use of
Mercurial.

- From what I've seen of Mercurial and Git, they seem quite comparable in
terms of feature sets and the like. Each seem to have their strengths
and weaknesses, but the only real reason I chose Mercurial was strong
multi-platform support. Savannah has just added support for Mercurial
and Subversion repositories, so that's no longer a reason to prefer Git;
but the fact that Gnulib and Coreutils (and, of course, the Linux folks)
are using Git may be.

I suppose Bazaar should be considered as well, especially since, AIUI,
it is now officially a GNU project, unlike Git or Mercurial (to my
knowledge).

Also: are there any impediments to migrating GNU Screen to GPLv3+? AIUI,
RMS would like all projects that are able to manage this, to do so.

(I've removed Karl from the recipients, as I doubt he's interested in
this discussions.)

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/